Sunday, April 17, 2011

JOHN ARMLEDER

 
    I found the interview with John Armleder so intriguing. I think it was how earnest Armleder was that drew me in. At first, I disagreed with Armleder when he said, "Most important, I've never believed that what I think about my own work has anything to do with the work itself." I believed the opposite. However, he seems very honest in this statement. I think he says it because he himself does not know what to think about his artwork as he states. It seems to him that the interpretations of the viewer of his art is what is important. Whatever they think becomes what the art means. In other words, the interpretation of the public becomes what the art is. I think this is true. This quote also explains Armleder's relationship with his viewers. He is dependent on them. They give meaning to his art. If not for them, the art would be stagnant. They recreate the art and bring their own references to it. His position on the importance of the viewer explains why he enjoys being considered to be part of may disparate movements. By being included in so many movements his art is timeless. It keeps being applied to contemporary movements. Considering all of these movements mean different thing, they change the art to fit into a movement's logic. I like the idea of this because it gives the art power to be indestructible. Also I just find it amazing that his art is so versatile. Not many artist make art that satisfies as many movements as Armleder's does.It is funny to me. He does this without even trying. He talks about having pseudointelligent ideas. Or ideas that try to be smart but fall short. I was kind of confused by this but I also rather enjoyed it. He is saying that sometimes stupid or simple ideas work. It seems contradictory to what I have been learning in school because Im told to have concepts concepts concepts. Sometimes my deepest concept art falls short. I find his dot room art interesting and I would like to make this kind of art. Stealing other artist's work and putting it in my own show. It is like Armleder says,"Things look alike. If they don’t, step back, and they will. Step back again—they won’t just look alike, they’ll actually be alike." I like how putting work together helps a viewer to look at things differently.I makes me think that I want to make art that both explains and confuses people because I believe the process of the people looking, bringing in their own references, or being uninterested in a piece of art is the interesting part.I think Armleder accomplishes this, not only with his art but also by the way he speaks. I am very confused but he has given me a lot of things to think about. I believe that Armleder would accept what I think about his art. He is very open to interpretations and ideas. He does not want to make conceptual art that only "insiders" can understand. He makes his art almost neutral so that whether an art scholar or tourist come to his show, what each person thinks is valid. It is as if he makes the art for a person to drive meaning. Meaning that is personal to then and not him, the artist. It is generous. I do not know if i could be this generous in making art because I would make things that were personal to me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment